Saturday, July 30, 2011

JULY 7/25 I just can't sit back any longer

     I started this blog to set out to help those around me who have a child with ASD or ADD.
My husband and I have been married for 5 years this September. We have two children Gracie Mae who is 3yrs and James who is almost 2yrs. When Gracie Mae was 2yrs old she was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). Of course like all of you our hearts just sunk. How do we fix it? What caused this? Will she ever be able to live a normal life? These along with 100,000 other questions ran through our minds. Lucky for us Gracie was high functioning but had some serious delays. As a mom I have never searched and worked so hard to try and figure out the ways I can and should be helping her. Long story short we have tried vitamin supplements, diet restrictions, etc... My husband and I were inspired by a documentry we saw where a man healed an autoimmune disease that he attracted from eating the wrong types of food by juicing and juice fasting. I am not a doctor or a scientist but folks I think he is on to something.
    I have given everything else a try so why not try juicing and getting rid of processed foods in our home. Now I know what you are thinking...That could get expensive. No, not if you think about it. I went to a fast food establishment the other day which in my book and others is not too bad and between buying one meal for myself and a kids meal for one of my children it was 12bucks. If my husband and son would have been there it would have been double the amount 24 dollars people and that is one meal.
  We went to our local farmers market the other day and bought 24 dollars worth of fruits and vegetables and still we are eating and juicing from those items. It can be done it just takes some effort. The next thing I am sure you are wondering is it takes so much work to wash the veggies and fruits and juice and then have to clean the juicer. I think as I prepare the item to be juiced, this is my child's medicine...she needs this, her body needs this and how could I deny  my children what they need.
  I know you are also thinking my children would never drink or eat that....Well let me tell you I have two little picky eaters and their diets consisted of chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza, spaghetti, and anything with sugar they love. So here is where you have to become creative and you have to ease them into it. The other thing is you have to be the example and set the standard. I know its hard being the example but it is time for us to no longer sit back and let this sickness take over our children. If you have read anything on Autism you will find there is issues with their little bodies not being able to detox themselves and their guts not digesting their food properly.
  I am here to encourage you and I am here to share with you my journey in trying to help my Gracie Mae find clarity and feel comfortable in this extraordinary body and mind God has granted her. Stay tuned for recipes and a daily blog of behaviors and observations we encounter along the way.

5 comments:

  1. *first!

    I am excited to follow your blog Shawnie. Will def be hoping/praying/thinking of you guys, that your new regimin brings good things to your fam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yvonne...any ideas or extra input always helps so please share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Shawnie,

    Just curious. How is your daughter now. I am also planning to start juice diet. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My almost 3 year old had some really good days. I tried to figure out why. Only thing different was orange juice. Hmmm

      Delete
    2. My almost 3 year old had some really good days. I tried to figure out why. Only thing different was orange juice. Hmmm

      Delete